Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Zurich Part II

In between shipping containers as we made our way to the topmost level...
If there's any one thing we were sure we would be doing whilst in Zurich...it was paying a visit to the Freitag flagship store. I came across the Freitag store online as I was doing a little research about fun things to do in the city of Zurich and after visiting their website, I immediately knew I was going to have to spend some time in their store, and I was 99.9% sure I would be walking out with at least one of their products. Visit their website for yourself and see what I mean-- www.Freitag.ch

The store itself is made out of stacked shipping containers: 9 high and 4 wide at the bottom, then narrowing towards the top--19 containers in all. "Zurich’s first bonsai-skyscraper: Low enough not to violate the city’s restriction on high-rise buildings. High enough to send shivers down anyone’s spine." How cool is that?! It honestly does look a little unstable when you're viewing it from a little ways away, but once you're in the store you can barely tell. Until you climb to the observation deck, that is, located on the very top of the 19th container, which offers a very cool, industrial view of the city.
They have multiple styles of backpacks, messenger bags, bike bags, overnight bags, purses, wallets--you name it--all coming in unique colors and patterns. Their bags are made from recycled truck tarps, complete with seat belts for straps.
We may have walked out of there with a few items of our own...
Down below you can get a good view of Frau Gerold's Garden, which was our next stop for the day.
Frau Gerold's Garten was something I would describe as hipster foodie and shopaholic heaven. It reminded me so much of the R.A.W. district in Berlin*, another one of my top favorite places I've been in Europe. Again, two words: Hipster Heaven.
[*a trip to Berlin on which I forgot my camera, something I will be kicking myself about for years to come]
We lunched on some delicious salads and würst--my carrot salad was actually a salad made up of shredded carrot with goat cheese and pepita seeds, and it was delicious.

Even the bathrooms were inside of shipping containers! If I lived in Zurich, or even just spent more time there, I would be coming to Frau Gerold's Garten with a borderline embarrassing frequency.
For our last supper in Zurich we came to La Salle, a really lovely restaurant and bar located near Freitag in the more industrial section of town. We had the most delicious food I've eaten in a long time, including a melt-in-your-mouth vegetable ravioli, and beef filet with some sort of herb butter that I think God must have churned himself.
As a final hurrah to our trip we visited CLOUDS, a bar on the top floor of the tallest building in Zurich. As to be expected it was ridiculously overpriced, but I think we all agreed that the experience and the view were worth it.
Cheers to a wonderful weekend with my parents, who I adore more than anything in this world. It was the best way I could have spent my birthday!
SHARE:

2 comments:

  1. nice photos xo

    http://thefurthestthingfromperfect.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would really love to visit one day, your photos are awesome!

    danielle | avec danielle // giveaway

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Templates by pipdig